Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Getting ready, every day

Funny how clean I've gotten.
When we came back from Rio, L. and I flew home on separate flights (a long story having to do with urgent confusions when we were planning our trip South toward IVF treatment a month and a half earlier). I got home three hours before L., and after an overnight flight and a long morning wait for my Miami to Boston connection, I got home to find the three dogs healthy and happy (good), our house-sitter healthy and happy (good), and the house completely overrun with dog-crap. Every room in the house. I dropped my bags, grabbed a mop and a bucket, and set to work washing floors.
Three hours later, when I drove up to Logan Express to pick up L., each floor had been washed down three times with high-test Lysol floor cleaner, the house smelled of lemons and alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides - a cheerful bouquet and a big improvement over the dog-run pallor that had hung in the air when I first entered the premises.
Since then - almost a month - I have been cleaning the house - sometimes furiously, sometimes thoughtfully, sometimes diligently, sometimes lovingly - every day. I've never been a slacker, but also never been a dedicated house cleaner before. But L. has been on modified bed-rest for a couple of weeks - she had frequent bouts of bleeding (or spotting, depending on who was doing the describing) and the OB-GYN nurse emphatically warned her off from sweeping, mopping, carrying cans or groceries.
This was the best-news-possible, since it has given me something to do. Carry groceries, sweep floors, empty the garbage. We don't do much chopping of wood nor carrying of water here in the suburbs (although now that I think of it, we have switched to bottled water, so I'm carrying six or seven gallons of that into the house each week). I can't do much regarding the gestation of triplets, but I can invest big-time in the creation of a warm, clean home context for the mother of The Three.
It was funny to notice this morning how I grabbed the spare fifteen minutes between walking the dogs and beginning my work-day to sweep the floors and put away all the dishes. Really a simple pleasure. And it clears the mind, which is preoccupied, all the time, with thoughts of The Three and "how am I going to do this?!"

1 comment:

literatriz said...

Hey, you are getting pretty good at cleaning! But dont' think it is easy to catty all the guilt, when I have to sit down and hear your frantic mopping and sweeping. I loved the Mother of Three nickname!
Now I got a go. Have to practice the "indulge yourself, you are pregnant" attitude I have never allowed myself to experience. Keep blogging, Three of a Kind!
L.