Tuesday, February 24, 2009

waiting

This was the best night I've spent in the hospital. Went to sleep with contractions coming regularly each 20 minutes and crushing my round belly for 25 seconds. The nurse turned the monitor up and confirmed my hopeful perception: I was contracting. Same at 2:00 a.m. and at 4:00 a.m. I wrote down the times on my Sudoku book - completing a challenging puzzle I had spent lots of time during the day without seeing the solutions. Saw in everything a magic sign that things were turning to the better.
Woke up this morning less swollen, active, rested. My belly is lower than before, with a funny assymetrical shape, similar to the hump of certain Indian breed of cattle. So far, no contractions. Had to accept that this body follows a misterious protocol, that neither myself nor the doctors can preview, anticipate or change. My role is stay hydrated and go through another long round of tests.

Yesterday, Baby B flunked two heart activity and one vitality test (she wouldn't breath during a half an hour ultrasound) but finally, passed the forth test with maximun score. I've caressed whichever part of her body was poking my liver and told her about the waiting time. It seems that she and babies A and C got it better than I did.

No comments: